Readers will know how much I’ve been struggling with miso. It’s been a challenge finding flavor combinations that compliment a miso soup base and are both healthy and delicious. But I think I’ve now got something that works for me. The health benefits of miso are worth the effort. Maybe you should give this a try?
Easy and delicious miso soup
- 1 carrot (about 1 cup), peeled and sliced thin
- 1/2 of a cooking onion (up to 1 cup)
- ½ to 1 cup raw shrimp or haddock (4-6 ounces), chopped
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons each of freshly chopped garlic and/or ginger
- 1/2 to 1 cup tomato juice, V-8, or tomato salsa (essential 🙂 )
- 1 tablespoon of a strong curry powder
- 2 tablespoons miso paste (I used mame miso)
- a few drops sriracha sauce (to taste – optional)
- chopped green onion, for garnish
- Peel and chop the carrot and onion.
- Remove the shells and chop the shrimp (or the haddock, if using).
- Bring water to a boil. Add carrots, onion, ginger, garlic, tomato product of choice, and curry powder. Reduce heat and simmer (covered) until carrots soften, about 10 minutes.
- Add shrimp or fish and miso. Simmer 2 to 3 minutes more, just until shrimp turns pink or haddock turns white, garnish, and serve.
- For an even heartier soup, add 1/4 cup lentils with the tomato product.
- If you really want to cheat, add a little beef bouillon paste… LOL
We all liked this soup. Hearty, flavorful, rich, and packed with protein and fiber (if you use the lentils). Yes. Give this one a try.