Kids, get your aprons on. We’re going to whip up some brownies that are as good for the body as they are for the soul. Including time to wash up the dishes, these treats should take no more than a half hour away from your Minecraft play time.
Of course, you will already have made up a nice batch of home-made, low-sugar Nutella-like spread, so you have some on hand. If not, well, there is an extra step. Click on this link to get your recipe for healthy Nutella-like chocolate spread, and get cracking. If you want your snack to be low-sugar, you have to make your own chocolate-nut spread.
Then, making nutritious brownies is as easy as 1, 2, 3!
- 1 ¼ cups (350 g) home-made low-sugar Nutella-like spread
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup (60 g) flour (I use whole-grain pastry flour)
- Preheat the oven to 350F/176C. Line an 8×8″ pan with aluminum foil, grease lightly, then set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together your home-made Nutella, eggs, and flour until combined, and smooth. I use a hand mixer. Pour the batter into the prepared pan, and smooth out the top with a spatula.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out with a few crumbs. Do not over-bake, or your brownies will taste dry. Let them cool completely in the pan on a wire rack before cutting and serving.
I got the idea for these brownies from Yum Goggle, a great site for foodie fans looking for new ideas for the table. There you can find 33 other delicious recipes you can make using Vinny’s home-made low-sugar Nutella-like spread. Try them all!
These brownies don’t rise very much but have a nice rich taste. My kids liked them, especially, when I made them into a low-sugar ice-cream sandwich… also good with a bowl of fruity yogurt. I use Greek yogurt and sweeten it with, what else, stevia. Then I mix in the berries, pineapple chunks, or apple pieces. M-M-good.
For gourmet skinny brownies made three years ago for Halloween, with three kinds of chocolate and sweetened with stevia (of course), click on Isla’s picture.