A doctor’s plan for rapid weight loss
Sharon talks to Vinny about her adventures with the 17-day diet
Vinny: How fast can you lose weight on this diet plan?
Sharon: Ok. Right off the bat my radar goes up. Anybody knows you can’t expect to lose weight fast… and keep it off. But Mike says, yes you can! He promises results that last. It’s right there on the front cover.
When I crack the book open, his first words to me are, “Just give me 17 days.”
Vinny: How is this plan any different from all the other pitches out there?
Sharon: This diet gets results, Dr. Mike says, because it balances food and exercise to adjust your body’s metabolism to burn fat, “day in and day out.” There are four cycles involved.
The first 17 days offers fast weight loss.
The second 17-day cycle ups your calories to confuse your metabolism. This feast-famine thing prevents your body from adapting. No plateauing. It keeps you interested. It also works to help you lose weight, as long as you are feasting on a fairly low-fat/slow-carb diet.
I had confirmation recently in the journal Metabolism that this approach is scientifically sound. This bodes well for Dr. Mike’s diet!
The third cycle helps you move closer to your goal by establishing healthy eating habits, like proper portion size, with the foods you really like. Think pasta and alcohol!
And the last cycle is maintenance. This phase is actually the hardest for most dieters and where many fall down. Including me. Three years ago I was at my goal weight. Then I broke my shoulder, and all the weight I lost crept back.
Vinny: Would you call this a miracle diet? How would you rate it?
Sharon: Mike doesn’t promise you a rose garden. You have to stop eating unhealthy junk. You’ve got to eat veggies, fruit and lean meat. You learn to keep your portions down, cut down on fatty, sugary, and salty foods, and move your butt (Mike’s words). You won’t feel so hungry you have to crack open a tub of chocolate crackle ice cream at midnight. You’ll succeed… because it’s only for 17 days!
Vinny: How practical is Dr. Mike’s diet?
Sharon: Dr. Mike peppers his pages with scientific studies that prove his points. He also gives us some tasty recipes to show us how to use the foods he builds his diet on.
Vinny: How well did it work for you?
I wanted to lose that nasty weight I’d piled on since the shoulder fiasco. In September, I saw a picture of myself. I looked decidedly in need of attention.
I began with daily walks lasting an hour or more at 5-6 kilos/hour. At the same time, I tried cutting back. I have a sound understanding of what’s in the foods I eat. It was a matter of discipline.
I lost 7 or 8 pounds, then plateaued. Leading up to Christmas and 3 months into my weight control program, I had lost only 10 pounds… just one-third of the weight I needed to ditch. After all the holiday celebrating quieted down, I was up 3 pounds again!
Dr. Mike to the rescue! He hooked me with his well-researched approach and I gave it a try.
Day 1 of my 17-day diet was 11 January 2013. Today marks day 17. I’ve lost 8 pounds. That’s the same amount of weight it took me nearly 3 months to lose the old way. My total loss since September 2012 is 18 pounds. I’m more than halfway to my goal!
The 17-day diet is full of all the super foods Vinny loves. And it gets results. Fast. Thanks, Dr. Mike! I’m so looking forward to meal-planning as I head in to my second 17-day cycle… semi-fasting and somewhat feasting!
Postscript: Success was achieved on June 2, 2013. Thirty pounds gone forever! Thanks, Dr. Mike Moreno!
- Miss Chicken wears orange for a bolder style – Cycle 1: Lean protein and cleansing fruits and veggies
- Grocery List for 17-day diet – Let’s go shopping! The foods for the three cycles are color coded. Pay attention. It’s easier if you focus only on cycle 1 foods (red) while you’re still in the 17-day accelerate phase. On day 18, take a look at cycle 2 And so on. Less confusing!
- Green tea for two – Green tea is a staple on Dr. Mike’s diet
- Hummus… Pretty in Pink! – A basic slo-carb food for cycle 2 of the 17-day diet
- Kasha falling star, put it in your pocket – Buckwheat (or kasha) – A fabulously nutritious slo-carb option for cycle 2
- Talkin’ Turkey with chili – A lean-meat option with beans, for cycle 2
- Simply Squash – Two easy ways to serve this delicious slo-carb option for cycles 2 and 3
- Lemony water plus a creamy lemon curd – Lemon water every day is one key to effective weight management. Try an easy recipe for lemon curd and see all the delicious things you can do with it.
- eGgs and veG – Happy Easter, Breakfast! – Lots of ideas for protein- and vitamin-packed breakfasts
- Something’s fishy – Learn about the link between omega 3 and fish
- Garbage soup – Use your left-overs to make delicious and nutritious soup for pennies
- Sour cabbage is sweet – Find out how sauerkraut, probiotics and Bavaria link up
- Avocado and comice: a great pair of pears – Make room for fruit and avocado in a healthy, weight-loss diet
- Hungry enough to eat an ox? – Take time to enjoy a family meal once or twice a week. It’s good for the soul!
- Cinderella soup stock becomes a princess – Dress up homemade soup stock for everyday pleasures and few calories