Once you’ve made the right choice about what to eat, use your hands to figure out how much. Remember? Serving size counts. And you’ve got a measuring cup right there in the palm of your hand… and a spoon on your fingers. Here are some ways teens (and adults) can use their hands to measure portions.
- Fist = 1 cup of fruit (2 servings) or 1 medium whole, raw fruit (1 serving)
- Thumb = 1 ounce of cheese (about 2/3 serving calcium) or meat (about 1/2 serving protein)
- Fingertip = Approximately 1 teaspoon (1 serving sugar)
- Tip of Thumb = Approximately 1 tablespoon (2 servings olive oil)
- One Cupped Hand = 1/4 cup of nuts (about 1 serving protein) or cereal (read the box!)
Try it out and see how well this works for you.