Study Guide to Cook Up A Story
The many faces of milk is what Chapter 5 of the print version of Cook Up A Story is all about. The story, More Milk Please, offers a time-honored recipe for getting along with people—especially people of the opposite gender. Her best friend Jill and a jug of milk is all it takes to help Izzie overcome her awkward shyness. You can learn to be just as smooth as Jill by following her recipe for getting along with people… and whip up her creamy, low-fat smoothie, while you’re at it. Vinnie doesn’t leave without first introducing you to some of the issues around milk’s healthy goodness… and why it isn’t so healthy for just everybody.
Here are a few multiple-choice questions you can ask your kids as you read Vinny’s story together. It’s an interactive way to help your family get the most from the tale. Food facts about milk’s good and bad sides help teens plagued with friend issues find some new approaches to getting along. Let’s get cooking!
More Milk Please: Understanding the story
Why doesn’t Izzie want to go to the store for her mom?
1. It’s too cold to go for a long walk
2. She’s shy about meeting a guy there who likes her
3. She’s waiting for an important telephone call
How does Casey show Izzie he likes her?
1. He gives her some flowers
2. He calls her all the time on his cell
3. He writes a song about her
What does Izzie like about her best friend, Jill?
1. Jill has lots of money and spends it on Izzie
2. Jill does Izzie’s homework for her
3. Jill always asks how Izzie feels
Why doesn’t Izzie ever use her cell phone?
1. She can’t think of anything to say to people
2. She’s afraid she’ll say something stupid
3. She doesn’t know how to listen to people
—All of these
What was Jill’s advice to Izzie for having fun?
1. Focus on the other person rather than on what clever thing you might say next
2. Ask people questions
3. Find a few things you have in common and share
—All of these and more
How do we know Izzie was learning to be less shy around people?
1. She used her cell phone to call Jill
2. She began to look for excuses to go to the store and talk to Casey
3. She asked Casey if she could hang out with him sometime
—All of these
- While Jill is teaching Izzie to be smooth, she whips up a smoothie. You can make Jill’s smoothie, too. Read:
- Jill’s strawberry smoothie
- Dislike the taste of milk?
- Healthier foods featured in Jill’s recipe:
- low-fat/low-sugar yogurt
- colorful fruit
- low-fat milk
- What are some of the goods things we find in milk and when is milk NOT good for us? Read:
- Is milk good or bad for you?
- Get the low down on low fat
- Use fruits and veggies creatively to make all kinds of smoothies and other healthy dishes for picky eaters. For details, se:
- Read more…
- Test your food science knowledge. Try the quiz:
- What’s pasteurized milk?
- Milk microorganisms can be good guys or baddies. How do we slay the baddies? Read:
- Microorganisms are so teeny tiny….
- What can we make with the help of the good guys? Read Vinny’s jokes (LOL).
- Where does milk come from? Read:
- It’s not just cows…
- Vinny’s found a great story he wants to share, about food and best friends. In The Canning Season, two lonely girls enrich the lives of an older pair of sisters while they learn the meaning of friendship and caring. For details, see:
- Read more…
Note to holiday shoppers: Time is running out. Order your own personal copies of Cook Up A Story for friends and family today… and give the gift of healthy eating that lasts a life-time!
The Blurb Bookstore prints up your copy of Vinny’s book Cook Up a Story just for you. A new, black-and-white version is now available in the family-sized edition. Or you can opt for the full-color version or even the “all-dressed” deluxe edition. Choose from three cover styles and four paper selections. There are even two delivery options… something for everybody. I’ve ordered copies of all the available formats myself, and I found th eprint quality from Blurb to be wonderful, regardless of the choice.
Use the promo code BOOKEND20 at checkout until Dec 2 (just 2 days to go) and save 20%.
Plan ahead. It takes 7-10 days or so to print up your own personal copy and ship it straight to your door.
Cook Up A Story is a great gift idea if you are shipping presents to friends and relatives who live in far away places. Pay for shipping only once, from the factory to your loved ones.
Happy reading and bon appétit .